NOTE: If this is not your first time configuring IllinoisNet, you may also need to reset your wireless password in your Keychain application. If you do not reset your wireless password in your Keychain, you may find it difficult or impossible to log on to IllinoisNet Wireless. See Reset Your Wireless Password in the Keychain of Your Mac OS X Computer, Apple iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad for more information.
In order to connect to the IllinoisNet wireless network with an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, your device must be running the most current version of the Apple iOS software:
- Version 2.1 or later will work with IllinoisNet.
To check your system's compatibility, go to Settings -> General -> About and look at the Version information.
Point your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to this page
You will need to view this page using your mobile device in order to download the proper configuration package. You can use any wireless network that your device already accepts. If you're on campus and want to use UIUCnet Wireless through QuickConnect, follow these instructions:
- Go to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> UIUCnet
(If your iPhone has any trouble connecting to UIUCnet Wireless, go to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Other and type in UIUCnet. Note: matching the capitalization is important.)
- Launch Safari.
- If your Safari home page is blank, go to a page like http://www.illinois.edu in order to log in to QuickConnect.
- Once you've logged in to QuickConnect on your device, send Safari to this page ( http://www.cites.illinois.edu/wireless/wpa2/iphone.html ) and continue with the instructions below.
Once your iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad shows this web page
- Download the University of Illinois IllinoisNet mobile configuration package onto your device.
- The package will identify itself as an unsigned certificate. Click Install.
- The iPod/iPhone/iPad will ask for confirmation that it's all right to install this unsigned profile. Click Install Now.
- Enter your user name and password when prompted.
- User name: Your NetID.
- Password: Your Active Directory password.
(For more information about your Active Directory password, please contact the CITES Help Desk.)
- After you've entered this information, your device should say "Profile Installed." Click Done.
Once you've configured IllinoisNet, you won't need to use the UIUCnet or UIphone networks with their requirements for QuickConnect or a VPN client. To remove the extra networks from your iPhone or iPod's list of options:
- Go to Settings -> Wi-Fi and click the blue arrow to the far right of UIUCnet (or UIphone).
- If you've connected to this network in the past, there will be a "Forget this Network" item at the top of the screen. (If you haven't connected to this network before, the option won't be there.)
- Click Forget this Network on any network that you don't want your iPhone to automatically connect to (such as UIUCnet, UIphone, and/or UIPublicWiFi.)
- After a network has been forgotten, it will still be listed in the Wi-Fi Networks view, but your iPhone will connect to IllinoisNet instead.
When the IllinoisNet wireless network is in range, your iPod or iPhone will connect to it automatically.
If there are several networks in range and it doesn't choose IllinoisNet, however, you can select IllinoisNet from the available network options:
- Go to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> IllinoisNet.
- If you haven't stored your password, you'll be prompted for your password when connecting. Enter your Active Directory password and click Next.
- The iPhone or iPod Touch will try to connect. After a successful connection, there will be a check mark beside IllinoisNet. At this point you're connected and can use the Internet.
When you're done using the IllinoisNet wireless network, you can either turn off your Wi-Fi connection or select another network under Settings -> Wi-Fi.
If you must change your wireless password, you will also need to reset your wireless credentials in your Keychain application. If you change your password and you do not reset your password in your Keychain, you may find it difficult or impossible to log back on to IllinoisNet Wireless. See Reset Your Wireless Password in the Keychain of Your Mac OS X Computer, Apple iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad for more information & instructions.
Contact the CITES Help Desk for more assistance.