Your NetID is a name assigned to you that is unique across all University of Illinois campuses. It serves as your login to many University computing and networking services and also determines your University email address, which is email@example.com.
Your NetID has a password associated with it that is commonly called your NetID password (sometimes also called your Kerberos password). Many important, secure University services (examples are given below) will ask for your NetID to find out who you are and your NetID password to verify that you are who you say you are.
For more information on choosing an effective NetID password and keeping it secure, see the Guide to Passwords page.
The CITES Help Desk has created two YouTube videos to show you each of the steps in the NetID claim and Enterprise account creation process:
Obtaining your NetID and setting your NetID password
- If you're a student, you will receive instructions for claiming your NetID and setting your NetID password. (If you did not receive this information, please contact the CITES Help Desk).
- If you're a staff or faculty member, there are two ways you may obtain your NetID and set your NetID password:
- You may bring proof of your appointment and a photo ID to the CITES Help Desk. They'll assign a NetID for you and allow you to set your NetID password.
- Your department will provide you with a NESSIE "new hire" login and password to access the NESSIE New Hire web site. Within the NESSIE "new hire" section, you can request a NetID (but not a NetID password). To set your NetID password, you'll need to visit the CITES Help Desk in person to claim one. Call 217-244-7000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment. You will need to bring a photo ID with you. The Help Desk will assign a NetID to you and will assist you to set your NetID password (if necessary).
- If you need a NetID for a guest, refer to the Guest Services page for more information.
Changing your NetID password
You can change your NetID password with the CITES Password Manager (you'll be prompted to enter your NetID and current NetID password).
If you've forgotten your NetID password, see What to Do If You've Forgotten Your NetID Password.
Some of the most common campus services that use your NetID and NetID password to verify your identity include:
- NESSIE (http://nessie.uihr.uillinois.edu/): allows employees to conduct personnel transactions online
- CITES Password Manager (http://passwords.cites.illinois.edu/): allows you to set and change the passwords for most CITES services
- Electronic Directory Editor (http://ede.cites.illinois.edu): allows you to edit your University electronic phone directory entry
- Walkup computing (http://www.cites.illinois.edu/walkup/): allows you to connect your laptop to the University network from campus Walkup computing locations
U of I WebStore (http://webstore.illinois.edu/): allows you to enter the WebStore, where you can purchase and download software
- Residence hall computer labs (http://www.housing.uiuc.edu/technology/): allows students to use the residence hall computer labs
For help with your NetID or NetID password, or if you need to change your NetID because of a legal name change, please contact the CITES Help Desk. If you visit in order to reset your password, be sure to bring a photo ID with you.