Apply by: July 1, 2012
Campus Information Technologies and Educational Services (CITES) is the provider of campus-wide computing, networking, telephone, and instructional technology services supporting academic activities of faculty, staff, and students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
CITES has an opening for a Systems Support Analyst to work in Instructional Computing Services (ICS). ICS provides reliable solutions for academic computing needs, from everyday services like internet access and printing to instructional classrooms and a knowledgeable student based support staff. ICS currently manages approximately 800 desktops in 20 locations across campus.
The System Support Analyst supports the Server Manager in day-to-day management of server infrastructure, directory services, and management of printing infrastructure; monitors server health and maintains service pack levels, anti-virus, etc.; coordinates with staff regarding planned outages, maintenance, and system changes; assists the Manager and others to determine Academic Departments’ software, hardware, and training needs; assists in evaluating the impact on current infrastructure of new software and client/server applications being considered; works closely with staff to ensure minimal downtime; and works closely with building personnel to ensure minimal downtime for curriculum software in a lab setting. The System Support Analyst is expected to quickly learn new concepts and tools, assist staff members with problems relating to daily server issues, support field technicians and help desk personnel to resolve issues, and work cooperatively with others.
Job Duties (Include but not limited to)
- Navigate file systems; know where various types of standard system files are stored.
- Understand how to use standard administration tools to manage system patches and application updates.
- Implement simple configurations independently; implement complex configurations with guidance from senior peers.
- Quickly learn new concepts and tools.
- Write simple scripts to automate and streamline everyday tasks.
- Understand system access control and security aspects of critical systems.
- Work remotely on critical systems only from approved devices and only by utilizing two–factor authentication on those systems.
- Connect to critical systems only via authorized redirection "jump boxes" or proxy servers.
- Demonstrates in day-to-day work adherence to security best practices and CITES access control and security policies.
- Establish and maintain suitable resource and performance monitoring on all systems for which employee is responsible.
- Evaluate patches before installation.
- Establish and maintain monthly patching for all systems for which employee is responsible.
- Monitors server health and maintains service pack levels, anti-virus, etc.;
- Coordinates with staff regarding planned outages, maintenance, and system changes
- Assists in the assessment of software, hardware, and training needs
- Assists in evaluating the impact on current infrastructure of new software and client/server applications being considered;
- Ensure excellent Customer Service throughout the CITES.
- Partner with the CITES Service Desk by setting and managing the expectations of customers
- Acts as an advocate for CITES clients in service planning and deployment across the organization and resolve customer satisfaction issues.
Position Required Qualifications.
Education: Bachelor's required
- Minimum of 1 year of Linux system administration experience.
- Knowledge of basic system administration tools and processes.
- Familiarity with at least one scripting language (Perl or Bourne shell in Unix, PowerShell Windows)
- Basic understanding of core operating system concepts such as filesystems, job control, and user roles.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in DNS and basic TCP/IP configurations. Demonstrated ability in effective communication and collaborating in a high performance team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service.
- Experience in participating in diverse workgroups.
Position Desired Qualifications
- System administration experience with OS X Server and/or Windows.
- Experience managing print services.
- Experience managing directory services.
- Experience configuring web services applications such as IIS or Apache.
Appointment Status and Salary
This position is a regular, full-time, twelve-month academic professional appointment and includes salary and a benefits package (24 vacation days; health, dental, vision; SURS retirement). Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The starting date can be before or after the closing date. There will be no relocation costs included in this package. Applicants should have a currently valid legal authorization to work in the United States.
For full consideration, applications should be received by 07/01/2012. Please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application, resume, and the names/addresses/telephone/email of three professional references in one file. Online applications will require names and contact information for three professional references. Three letters of recommendation will be required for all Search Finalists. Employment requires a criminal background check. For further information about this position, please contact Lori Oakes at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (217) 333-4222.
Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer who welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).