Campus Information Technologies and Educational Services (CITES) is the provider of campus-wide computing, networking, telephone, and instructional technology services supporting academic activities of faculty, staff, and students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
CITES has openings for two (2) UNIX Systems Administrator positions in the Systems Management Group, a small team responsible for the configuration and maintenance of nearly 400 UNIX servers supporting CITES’ production services. Persons in this position will report to the Manager, Enterprise UNIX Operations who reports to the Associate Director for Enterprise Infrastructure.
Job duties include but are not limited to
- Writes scripts in Perl and Bourne Shell.
- Understands operating systems including but not limited to job control, soft and hard links, and distinctions between the kernel and the user environment.
- Maintains system database files (groups, hosts, email aliases).
- Configures commonly used services including Apache and SSH.
- Configuration management concepts and tools.
- Performs system access control and security aspects of critical systems.
- Works remotely on critical systems only from approved devices and only by utilizing two–factor authentication on those systems.
- Connects to critical systems only via authorized redirection “jump boxes” or proxy servers.
- Demonstrates in day-to-day work adherence to security best practices and CITES access control and security policies.
- Establishes and maintains suitable resource and performance monitoring on all systems for which employee is responsible.
- Evaluate patches before installation.
- Establishes and maintains monthly patching for all systems for which employee is responsible.
- Demonstrates day-to-day adherence with change control precepts and practices.
- Able to train users in applications and operating system fundamentals.
- Writes basic technical operating system documentation.
- Ensure excellent Customer Service throughout the Enterprise UNIX Operations group.
- Partner with the CITES Service Desk by setting and managing the expectations of customers; acts as an advocate for CITES clients in service planning and deployment across the organization; and resolves customer satisfaction issues.
- Bachelors Degree Required (Computer Science or related field preferred).
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience as a Unix System Administrator, preferably supporting Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Solaris
- Basic familiarity with regular expressions
- Experience using a configuration management system
- Experience scripting common or repeated tasks
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability in effective communication and collaborating in a high performance team environment
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Experience in participating in diverse workgroups
Appointment Status and Salary
This position is a regular, full-time, twelve-month academic professional appointment and includes salary and a benefits package (24 vacation days; health, dental, vision; SURS retirement). Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The starting date can be before or after the closing date. There will be no relocation costs included in this package. Applicants should have a currently valid legal authorization to work in the United States.
For full consideration, applications should be received by February 22, 2012. Please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application, resume, and the names/addresses/telephone/email of three professional references in one file. Online application will require names and contact information for three professional references. Three letters of recommendation will be required for all Search Finalists. Employment requires a criminal background check. For further information about this position, please contact Rhonda Miller at email@example.com or call (217) 333-4222.
Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer who welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).