Because a guest NetID allows guests greater access to campus resources, the application process is necessarily more detailed. The following sections explain the procedures to follow in order to request a guest NetID, as well as descriptions of the services provided to your guests once they have received their guest NetIDs.
To learn more about guest NetIDs, read: Services Provided with a Guest NetID.
1. Your guest must have a University Identification Number (UIN) before being given a guest NetID. In order to request a UIN, your department must fill out the Request for UIN Form.
2. Once the department sponsor fills out the UIN Request form, he/she should submit it to the i-card Programs Office for processing.
3. After your guest has received his or her UIN, your department must fill out a CITES Service Request, located at CITES Service Requests (Formerly TSRs).
The following information must be included on the CITES Service Request:
- Guest's name
- Guest's address
- University Identification Number (UIN)
- Terminate date for account
- Specific services requested: NetID only, any fee-based services, and/or campus email account
- Departmental contact
- Departmental contact phone number
4. Once the request is processed, it is then sent to the CITES Help Desk.
5. The Help Desk creates the NetID and will contact you with your guest's NetID information.
If you have any questions, contact the Help Desk by email or phone at (217) 244-7000 or (800) 531-2531.
Many services are automatically included with a guest NetID. For a list of automatic services, see Services Provided with a Guest NetID. Additional services can be arranged for guest NetID holders and are described below.
The following services are available to guest NetID holders without a fee.
Campus-level web content and applications such as NESSIE and the Library Gateway are authenticated by the Bluestem Web Sign-on system.
Most campus-wide applications will allow Bluestem access to any holder of a valid NetID or guest NetID. If you are unable to login to a particular application, that application may have a particular list of approved users. You may be able to request to be added to this list by contacting the CITES Help Desk.
- To gain access to a specific application:
Please contact the application owner or department contact listed for the login page. Be prepared to provide a business case.
- To determine which Bluestem applications might be appropriate for your guest:
Please contact the CITES Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enterprise-level web content and applications such as Banner Self Service are authenticated by the Enterprise Authentication Service (EAS).
Although an EAS account is created automatically when a NetID is issued, you must request access to specific EAS applications.
The following services can be offered to guest NetID holders for a monthly fee.
Microsoft Exchange Email accounts can be requested by departmental personnel through CITES. The person requesting the account must be authorized to use the department's Banner Account number, which will be used to track campuswide usage, but will not be billed.
Note: A guest must already have a NetID to receive an Exchange Email account.
An online request form is available at https://illinois.edu/fb/auth/6196374
For further assistance with guest NetIDs, contact the CITES Help Desk at (217) 244-7000 or email@example.com.