Log in on the web
Getting started with Exchange 2010
- Request an Exchange 2010 account
- Set up your email & calendar software
- Change your AD display name
- Calendar basics
- Add campus holidays to your calendar
- Mobile devices
Frequently asked questions
Microsoft Exchange is a mail server application that allows the campus community to exchange secure email, keep track of and easily communicate with contacts, and collaborate with one-another through calendaring applications such as Microsoft Outlook. Exchange also serves a core function in the University's Unified Communications infrastructure.
Microsoft Exchange allows the University of Illinois Community to:
- Coordinate your calendar with your contacts and email using Microsoft Outlook
- Access your email, contacts, and calendar using any computer or browser-enabled device using the Outlook Web App
- Seamlessly integrate your contacts and calendar information into powerful Unified Communications tools such as Lync Instant Messaging, Lync Voice, and Lync Online Meetings (Voice or Video).
All University of Illinois graduate students, faculty, staff, and certain allied individuals are automatically eligible for an Exchange 2010 account. Other individuals can request to have accounts created for them on a case-by-case basis. See Exchange 2010 Accounts for more information.
You are not required to use Outlook. Other applications are compatible with Exchange, including Apple Mail, Thunderbird, and Entourage. However, these other applications may not integrate as well with Illinois' Unified Communications applications. See Exchange 2010 for more information.
You are required to have a valid email account where you will have campus email sent. This account does not need to be connected to the University's Exchange server. However, because there are security and personal privacy risks involved with forwarding your University email to a non-University account, it is highly advisable that you use an Exchange account instead of any third-party email service for your campus business and email.
For more information about your Exchange account with regard to third-party email services and to learn how to set up email forwarding, please see: Forwarding Exchange 2010 Email to Another Account.